The Fed and Inflation.
The stories we tell.
Today, we’re talking about the stories we tell. Narratives that take root and stubbornly refuse to die. The economic version of urban legends. Today’s culprit is the Federal Reserve. I watched the two-hour testimony of Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell, so you don’t have to. And it was a masterclass in euphemisms intended to cover the Fed’s desire to put more people out of work. Two million of you, to be exact. So let’s talk about stories and legends.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:02:42 | Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Have a Point
- 00:03:27 | Real Time with Bill Maher: Bernie Sanders on Student Debt Forgiveness
- 00:06:08 | Rubin Report: Bernie Sanders Gets Frustrated When Bill Maher Calmly Reads Facts
- 00:06:19 | Black Conservative Perspective: Bill Maher STUNS Socialist Bernie Sanders When Pressed On Equity And Facts About Student Loan Debt!
- 00:09:21 | PBS NewsHour: Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell testifies on monetary policy in Senate hearing
- 00:11:25 | Seven Psychopaths: That's just fuckin' great!
- 00:11:42 | Fight Club: How's That Working Out for You?
- 00:14:10 | The Simpsons: Boring
- 00:17:15 | PBS NewsHour: Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell testifies on monetary policy in Senate hearing
- 00:21:59 | PBS NewsHour: Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell testifies on monetary policy in Senate hearing
- 00:23:12 | After Life: The Frog and The Scorpion
St. Louis Fed: The Fed and the Dual Mandate
Politico: The Senate’s crypto queen has a sweeping new Bitcoin bill
The New York Times: Fed Chair Opens Door to Faster Rate Moves and a Higher Peak
Americans for Tax Reform: Student Loan Bailout Applicants Will Spend More on Vacation, Drugs, and Gambling
Intelligent: Nearly half of student loan forgiveness recipients will use relief to go on vacation
St. Louis Fed: CPI Vs. PCE Inflation: Choosing a Standard Measure
- Podcast: Student Debt: Hey Boomer, STFU.
- Podcast: Biden’s Big Student Debt Announcement: PITOTWIU for the Indebted Masses.
- YouTube: Student Debt. The Supreme Court and GOP team up against the working class.
Robert J. Shiller: Narrative Economics: How Stories Go Viral and Drive Major Economic Events
Post Show Musings
- Cornell: AI vs. AI. Two chatbots talking to each other
- Clear + Vivid Podcast: Alan chats with the bots