Hey Boomer: STFU.
Various sources report that the Biden Administration is set to release its plan to deal with student indebtedness. Cancellation? Forgiveness? Refinance? Today’s episode covers the spirited debate surrounding student loan forgiveness and the structural issues that plague the American system of higher education. We cover the history of student loans and how perverse incentives, corporate greed and colleges with endless appetites for growth created a juggernaut of debt and bureaucracy no amount of forgiveness can fix. And, we build a case for policy measures that can restore some balance in the system.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:00 | Bloomberg Quicktake: Snapchat CEO Surprises Grads by Paying Off Their Student Debt
- 00:00:39 | Evita: And The Money Kept Rolling In (And Out)
- 00:06:39 | Forbes: 'This Is Getting Ridiculous': AOC Calls For Student Loan Cancellation
- 00:08:13 | Bernie Sanders: Cancel Student Debt
- 00:08:31 | Austin Powers: I Hate You
- 00:09:46 | The Young Turks: Fox Hosts RAGE Against Student Debt Cancellation
- 00:10:28 | CBS News: Critics push back against potential student loan forgiveness policies
- 00:11:20 | Meat Loaf: I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
- 00:13:06 | School of Rock The Musical: Give Up Your Dreams
- 00:14:52 | CBS Sunday Morning: Student debt: Is a degree worth the financial strain?
- 00:19:28 | Predators: We’re Gonna Need A New Plan
- 00:21:49 | The Simpsons: I Don't Get It
- 00:24:02 | Anchorman: I Did Not See That Coming
- 00:28:28 | 22 Jump Street: Going To College
- 00:29:39 | G.I. Joe: Knowing Is Half the Battle
- 00:29:49 | How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Coffee Break
- 00:30:35 | Legally Blonde The Musical: The Harvard Variations
- 00:34:39 | Animal House: Education System Speech
- 00:35:17 | Southpaw: I'm a fucking mess
- 00:35:31 | Spring Awakening: All That's Known
- 00:36:01 | PBS NewsHour: Biden taking a 'hard look' at student loan forgiveness
- 00:37:23 | Senator Warren's Hearing Exchange on Student Loan Debt
- 00:40:50 | Benny Hill Theme
- The Atlantic: Who Really Benefits From Student-Loan Forgiveness?
- Education Data Initiative: Student Loan Debt by Race
- Sallie Mae: Annual Report
- Sallie Mae: Proxy Statement
- The New York Times: Student Debt Is Crushing. Canceling It for Everyone Is Still a Bad Idea.
- Brookings: Student loan forgiveness is regressive whether measured by income, education, or wealth
- Jacobin: On Student Debt Forgiveness, Joe Biden Is Pushing Stringent Means-Testing Yet Again
- Federal Student Aid: Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)