Obsession Over Recession Depression.
Feeding the Economic HypeBeast.
We just came through the eighth “technical” recession over the past 50 years and many predict that another is around the corner. Depending upon who you believe we might already be in one, we are about to drop off a cliff or it’s only smooth sailing ahead. Today we talk about how to measure a recession, the different character of prior downturns and why it doesn’t really fucking matter to most of us.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:01 | Fox News: Levin: Biden has brought in an American recession
- 00:00:10 | MSNBC: I'm Not Predicting An Immediate Recession But Road Ahead Doesn't Look Great: Steve Rattner
- 00:00:18 | CNBC: The consumer has not rolled over yet, zero chance for a recession, says Kevin O'Leary
- 00:00:24 | Bloomberg: El-Erian Says US Stagflation Is 'Unavoidable'
- 00:00:26 | CNBC: Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon warns there's a 'reasonable chance' of a recession
- 00:00:34 | Fox News: Maria Bartiromo: 'We may very well be in a recession right now'
- 00:00:42 | The Office: It’s Happening
- 00:04:00 | My Little Pony: Woah, that is deep!
- 00:04:28 | A Fish Called Wanda: Upside-Down Apology
- 00:10:10 | Richard Nixon Foundation: President Nixon's 1970 State of the Union
- 00:11:11 | Miller Center: President Gerald Ford: "Whip Inflation Now" Speech
- 00:12:47 | Jimmy Carter: Crisis of Confidence Speech
- 00:13:52 | Reagan Foundation: President Reagan's Address to the Nation on the Economy
- 00:15:40 | ABC News: Bush Reflects on the American Dream
- 00:17:08 | PBS NewsHour: President George W. Bush's address to the nation after September 11, 2001 attacks
- 00:18:27 | CBS: Bush On Economic Crisis
- 00:20:33 | Evening Standard: Donald Trump: US economy will "skyrocket" after coronavirus crisis
- 00:22:33 | How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Coffee Break
- 00:25:15 | Scooby Doo: Glasses
- 00:29:53 | The Simpsons: Boring
- 00:30:01 | NBC News: Federal Reserve Faces A Tough Challenge On Cooling Inflation
- 00:34:35 | Semisonic: Closing Time
- 00:56:09 | The Big Short: Closing Speech
National Bureau of Economic Research: Business Cycle Dating
The Balance: How Does the Fed Funds Rate Work, and What Is Its Impact?
CBS: Mortgage rates jump above 4% — prompting borrowers to return to a staple of the housing bubble
Macrotrends: Federal Funds Rate - 62 Year Historical Chart
The Conference Board: US Leading Indicators
St. Louis Fed: Personal Saving Rate
Federal Reserve: Distribution of Household Wealth in the U.S. since 1989
The Economist Asks: How will the war in Ukraine change the world economy?
The David McWilliams Podcast: Living with inflation, the story of Turkey