Modern Monetary Theory.
Can we afford it? Yes. Yes, we can.
Few concepts get under the skin of traditional economists, Wall Street executives and academics as Modern Monetary Theory, or MMT. We’ve been building to this episode for quite a while in our examinations of the United States budget and it’s time to properly Unf*ck this massively important economic concept. MMT posits the idea that any government that issues its own currency can run extraordinary deficits to finance basically anything without fear of negative monetary or fiscal consequences. In short, all of those wonderful progressive notions like universal healthcare, a federal jobs guarantee and food security are entirely possible without mortgaging our future.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:33 | The Young Turks: Fox Covers For Georgia Gov's HILARIOUS Gaffe
- 00:05:28 | CNBC: Watch President Joe Biden's full speech on his $2 trillion infrastructure plan
- 00:07:34 | The End of the Gold-backed US
- 00:11:18 | How To Make Household Budget (1948)
- 00:18:48 | New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says "Love wins. Always. And it will again through this virus."
- 00:19:47 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:21:57 | Reagan Library: Reagan's Radio Address to the Nation on the Federal Budget Deficit
- 00:22:05 | CBS News: Obama Addresses Nation On Debt Crisis
- 00:22:59 | Associated Press: President Clinton Budget Surplus Speech
- 00:23:43 | AskProfWolff: What is Modern Monetary Theory?
- 00:26:50 | Bill and Ted: Excellent!
- 00:27:15 | CNBC: Larry Summers: Modern Monetary Theory
- 00:27:58 | John F. Kennedy Moon Speech
- 00:28:58 | The Big Short: Shorts Turn the Tables on Wall Street
- 00:34:01 | The Simpsons: Lisa Simpson Calls Donald Trump Presidency
- 00:34:43 | Immobiliare Deal