A Crisis of Our Own Design.
As Ukrainians flee the war in their home country, some have found their way to the U.S. southern border where they are immediately escorted into the country. Because they're seeking refuge from a dangerous conflict and seeking asylum in the land of the free. And they're getting in. Quickly. Through Mexico. Meanwhile... you can probably guess where this is headed. Anyhoo, today's episode looks at immigration policy in the United States and fingers (ew) the real bad guy in our story that crafted today's anti-immigrant narrative and passed three meaningful pieces of legislation that made it a crime to be a non-native born American.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:11 | TIME: George H. W. Bush And Ronald Reagan Debate On Immigration In 1980
- 00:04:16 | Al Jazeera: More Ukrainians and Russians seek asylum at Mexican-US border
- 00:05:40 | Scary Movie: Movie Theater
- 00:13:33 | Tucker: Democrats are importing migrants to expand voting base
- 00:14:05 | Milton Friedman: Illegal Immigration
- 00:17:49 | The Maltese Falcon: You Imbecile
- 00:18:53 | Bill and Ted: Woah
- 00:23:44 | Conan: Bill Clinton On Dictators, Democracy, & Why We Need Immigrants More Than Ever
- 00:24:31 | 1995 State of the Union: Bill Clinton on Illegal Immigration
- 00:25:57 | CBSN: Bill Clinton says "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
- 00:32:10 | PBS NewsHour: Biden proposes immigration reform to provide new pathways to citizenship
OECD Statistics: Net Migration
National Immigration Law Center: Overview of Immigrant Eligibility for Federal Programs
Legal Information Institute: Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigration Responsibility Act
The Atlantic: Bill Clinton Owes My Father an Apology
Pew Research Center: Most Cuban American voters identify as Republican in 2020
Pew Research Center: The Hispanic Vote in Presidential Elections,
International Policy Digest: U.S. Agriculture is in Crisis
The New York Times: Fleeing War in Ukraine, They’re Met With Employers Offering Paychecks
Schoolhouse Rock: The Great American Melting Pot
Howard Zinn: A People's History of the United States