Understanding Socialism: Part One.
An introduction to socialism.
This week on UNFTR we have the first in the series on socialism. After our “ISMs” refresher last week, we dip our toes into the communal water and begin the process of unpacking an economic and ideological philosophy that inspires rage on the right, hope on the left and (mostly) fear in the middle. The episode starts off with listener feedback from a call we put out on social media and YouTube. We asked listeners to explain socialism in a couple of sentences and the responses were amazing. The episode continues with examples of how socialism is portrayed in the mainstream media, some basic misconceptions and UNFTR style level-setting on key terms and definitions.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:04 | Wall Street Journal: Bernie Sanders Defines Democratic Socialism
- 00:16:44 | Majority Report: Lawrence O'Donnell Expertly Schools C-SPAN Audience On Socialism
- 00:18:08 | MSNBC: 2018 Gallup Poll: 6% Of People Define Socialism As ‘Being Social’
- 00:18:52 | Fox News: Watters' Words: The truth about socialism
- 00:18:58 | Fox News: Gutfeld on Millennials favoring socialism and communism
- 00:19:08 | Fox News: Judge Jeanine: The rise of socialism
- 00:19:22 | Fox News: Ex-Home Depot CEO blasts Americans refusing to work thanks to socialism
- 00:19:31 | CBS News: Trump calls socialism "one of the most serious challenges" world faces
- 00:19:42 | Forbes Breaking News: DeSantis: 'I Reject Socialism Outright, I Reject Marxism, Leninism, Communism'
- 00:19:54 | Ben Shapiro: Ben Shapiro Explains Socialism in 2 Minutes
- 00:40:19 | Megan Thee Stallion: Hot Girl Summer
- Joseph A. Schumpeter: Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy
- John M. Thompson: Revolutionary Russia, 1917
- Bernard Harcourt: Critique and Praxis
- Ray Ginger: The Bending Cross: A Biography of Eugene Victor Debs
- Karl Marx: The Communist Manifesto
- Karl Marx: Das Kapital
- Michael Harrington: Socialism: Past and Future
- Victor Serge + Natalia Ivanovna Sedova: Life and Death of Leon Trotsky
- Anne Sebba: Ethel Rosenberg: An American Tragedy
- Bernie Sanders: It’s Ok to Be Angry about Capitalism