The Black & Jewish Divide in America.
The Fractured "Grand Alliance"
Read the full essay
Fascism, Nazism and antisemitism are back in the headlines. Conservative media and the New Right are relaxing with popcorn and settling in to watch as tensions between the Black and Jewish communities increase once again. Today’s episode traces the legacy of conflict between Black and Jewish people in the United States from the so-called “Grand Alliance” of the Civil Rights era, the Black Power and Consciousness movements and the emergence of Zionism in the U.S. to the recent explosion in pop culture. Who stands to gain from this fracture should be painfully obvious, but that doesn’t make for good television.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:01:12 | Cornel West and Michael Lerner interview on “Blacks & Jews”
- 00:04:06 | Kanye Says Hitler Love “Helps My Campaign”
- 00:04:43 | SNL: Dave Chappelle Stand-Up Monologue
- 00:06:54 | PBS: How Charlottesville Led to the Capitol Attack
- 00:06:58 | The Cold War on TV: Joseph McCarthy vs. Edward R. Murrow
- 00:13:15 | Louis Farrakhan: Public Messaging on Jews
- 00:14:24 | Jay-Z: The Story of O.J.
- 00:18:39 | The Dick Cavett Show: James Baldwin and Paul Weiss Debate Discrimination In America
- 00:21:24 | Einstein Forum: Discussion: Baldwin, BLM, and “Black Antisemitism”
- 00:31:56 | Kwame Ture's Debate with a Zionist
- 00:35:08 | Leader Of 'Israelites' Who Marched For Kyrie Responds To Being Called 'Hate Group': Explains March
- 00:38:34 | SNL: Dave Chappelle Stand-Up Monologue
- 00:39:46 | SNL: Dave Chappelle Stand-Up Monologue
- 00:41:10 | Kanye West exclusive: Rapper tells Tucker Carlson story behind White Lives Matter shirt
- 01:20:22 | The Closer
- Vanity Fair: The Secret History of Gavin McInnes
- UNFTR: The Economics of Racism: Bootstraps, Black Banks and Redlining.
- Pew Research Center: Economics and well-being among U.S. Jews
- Observer: The Music Industry’s Long History of Dividing Blacks and Jews
- National Archive: The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC)
- BBC: Leopold II: Belgium 'wakes up' to its bloody colonial past
- The New York Times: What to Know About Irving’s Antisemitic Movie Post and the Fallout
- Conspirituality Podcast: Ye, Balenciaga, & Twilight Zone Propaganda
- Terrence L. Johnson & Jacques Berlinerblau: Blacks and Jews in America: An Invitation to Dialogue
- Jonathan Weisman: (((Semitism))) Being Jewish in America in the Age of Trump