Why Is the FAA Failing Under Buttigieg?
Pete Buttigieg is in the news a lot for a Transportation Secretary. Either he’s a media darling the democratic establishment is keen to keep in the public eye, or he’s really bad at his job. Methinks it’s both. Today’s Topical Cream examines Mayor Pete’s borderline catastrophic run as head of the agency and the fallout from the multiple airline crises that have plagued his tenure. There’s no doubt this guy wants to be POTUS, but what exactly is he qualified to do other than burn progressives?
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:49 | PBS NewsHour: Pete Buttigieg discusses travel woes, supply chains, infrastructure and LGBTQ rights
- 00:01:17 | NewsNation: Buttigieg outperforms Biden in 2024 New Hampshire poll
- 00:03:13 | ABC News: Mayor Pete Buttigieg suspends presidential campaign
- 00:03:31 | CNBC: Bernie Sanders goes after Pete Buttigieg over billionaire fundraisers
- 00:04:02 | Fight Club: How's That Working Out for You?
- 00:08:45 | The Departed: You Must Be the Other Guy
- 00:14:18 | Big Daddy: Horseshit
CNN: Massive Southwest Airlines disruption leaves customers stranded and call centers swamped
Macrotrends: Southwest Airlines Gross Profit 2010-2022
Simply Flying: NTSB Predecessor: A Brief History Of The Civil Aeronautics Board
CNBC: A severe pilot shortage in the U.S. leaves airlines scrambling for solutions
Accountable.US: The Airline Industry's Self-Inflicted Labor Shortage Is Behind
Bureau of Transportation Statistics: Air Travel Consumer Report: Consumer Complaints Against Airlines Rise More Than 300 Percent Above Pre-Pandemic Levels
Economic Policy Institute: Flying Blind: The Failure of Airline Deregulation
The American Prospect: The Airline Bailout Is the CARES Act’s Biggest Debacle
AttorneyGeneral.gov: Airline Accountability and Increased Consumer Protection
BIG by Matt Stoller: What Will Come of the Nightmare Travel Summer of 2022?