A Story in Three Parts.
Today’s episode is a departure from our normal format. We were tempted to let the 20th anniversary of 9/11 pass given it will be oversaturated with remembrances and armchair punditry as well as the usual tragedy porn imagery. But the impact of 9/11 remains so widespread that it’s impossible to ignore. So, we wanted to add something honest, critical and ultimately hopeful to the mix. This episode contains none of our typical irreverence or profanity, nor do we traffic in speculation or conspiracy. Rather, this is a story of a consequential date in history told in three parts and beginning nearly 50 years ago.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:09:15 | FSTV: Secret Documents Show Nixon, Kissinger Role Backing 1973 Chile Coup
- 00:11:02 | Al Jazeera English: Mystery death of Chilean president Allende resolved
- 00:11:42 | Salvador Allende's Last Speech
- 00:15:33 | Milton Friedman: Pinochet and Chile
- 00:18:58 | ABC7NY: N.J. Burkett reporting as Twin Towers begin to collapse on September 11, 2001
- Pew Research Center: Americans Name the 10 Most Significant Historic Events of Their Lifetimes
- OECD: Chile: focus on reducing inequality to strengthen social and economic recovery from COVID-19
- GovInfo: Authorization for Use of Military Force
- AARC Public Library Contents: Church Committee Reports
- Jeremy Scahill: Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army
- Jeremy Scahill: Dirty Wars: The World Is a Battlefield