F*cking Around with our Biggest Economy.
The last time California had a “successful” gubernatorial recall, Arnold Schwarzenegger became governor. While we try not to wade into current events, there is significance in this current attempt to unseat Gavin Newsom that goes far beyond the borders of California. In this episode we catch up on what’s happening in California. Beyond the biblical weather events, an ongoing plague and rampant homelessness, there are silver linings in economic terms that could theoretically ameliorate many of the deep issues our biggest state faces. But there’s another dark scenario beyond blowing this moment and upending the political framework of Cali.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:00 | Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication [Official Music Video]
- 00:00:26 | Good Morning America: 'This is a Republican backed recall': Gov. Gavin Newsom
- 00:01:38 | Jerry Maguire: You Had Me At Hello
- 00:04:13 | Reuters: Donald Trump Jr.'s Girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle's fiery RNC speech
- 00:06:03 | Smokey Robinson & The Miracles: You Really Got A Hold On Me
- 00:06:42 | Fox News: Tucker: This may be the last chance to save California
- 00:07:07 | NewsNation Now: Youtuber Leading California Recall
- 00:07:18 | Fox News: Larry Elder: World leaders respect Donald Trump
- 00:07:32 | LL Cool J: Going Back To Cali (Official Video)
- 00:08:35 | AP Archive: Arnold Schwarzenegger Election Victory Speech
- 00:09:02 | Total Recall: Mars It Is
- 00:09:15 | Total Recall: Get Your Ass To Mars
- 00:09:50 | Aliens: Game over, man! We're fucked!
- 00:10:23 | Airplane! What is it? Not important right now!
- 00:12:15 | Hooray For Hollywood!
- 00:12:37 | NBC Bay Area: Lake Tahoe Threatened by Caldor Fire, More Ordered to Flee
- 00:12:52 | NBC: Inside Los Angeles’ Homeless Crisis
- 00:13:06 | NBC Bay Area: California Drought Concerns Intensify as Wildfires Continue to Burn
- 00:13:12 | ABC10: COVID-19 patients in California hospitals have double in recent weeks
- 00:13:33 | Rocky Balboa Speech
- 00:16:37 | Twilight Zone: The Movie - You Wanna See Something Really Scary?
- 00:16:52 | The Hill: Dianne Feinstein Cognitive Decline Is Reportedly WORSE Than We Thought
- 00:18:51 | Coming to America: Velvet
- 00:24:59 | Spongebob: 2 Hours Later
- CalMatters: Measuring California’s progress on income inequality
- The Atlantic: What California’s Recall Election Says About America
- Wikipedia: 2003 California gubernatorial recall election
- California Secretary of State: Recall History in California (1913 to Present)
- New York Times: California Could Throw Away What It’s Won
- Bloomberg: California Defies Doom With No. 1 U.S. Economy
- Statista: Real value added to the GDP of California in 2020
- LA Times: After decades of Republican victories, here’s how California became a blue state again
- ITEP: Who Pays? 6th Edition – State-by-State Data
- PPIC: Who’s Leaving California—and Who’s Moving In?