Public Education (Part Two).
Expansion, Reconstruction & Desegregation.
Today we continue our three-part series by examining three of the four major eras of public education in the United States: Expansion, Reconstruction and Desegregation. This episode looks at the legal and constitutional framework that protects education in all 50 states and some of the fundamental flaws that have contributed to a gross inequity in the system. This sets the stage for the conclusion of the series, which focuses on the current era of Privatization.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:04 | Dead Poets Society: What will your verse be?
- 00:03:23 | The Godfather: Vito Corleone Funeral
- 00:06:04 | The Simpsons: Boring
- 00:11:30 | Dangerous Minds: Choices
- 00:11:57 | The Office: Is She Hot?
- 00:12:52 | Ferris Bueller's Day Off: He's a Righteous Dude
- 00:16:01 | G.I. Joe: Knowing Is Half the Battle
- 00:17:37 | Dean Martin: Just a Little Bit South of North Carolina
- 00:21:37 | Big Daddy: Horseshit
- 00:22:21 | Breaking Bad: Say My Name
- 00:22:52 | United States Courts: Moments In History: Remembering Thurgood Marshall
- 00:27:17 | AP Archive: Nixon Appoints Two Judges To Supreme Court
- 00:47:39 | Meet the Family: Saturday Night Live
Teaching American History: Letter to Nathaniel Banks
National Archives: Brown v. Board of Education (1954)
Samuel Eliot Morison, Henry Steele Commager and William E. Leuchtenburg: A Concise History of the American Republic: Volume 1