Public Education (Part One).
Today is the first in a three-part series on public education in the United States. The focus is on compulsory K-12 education. We begin the series by educating ourselves on the business of education and stripping away the hysteria surrounding mask mandates, CRT, school prayer and kitty litter in bathrooms. Along the way we identify key stakeholders, look at outcomes and measurements, offer a primer on how schools are funded and examine the ongoing mass exodus from the profession of teaching. With a solid foundation in place, the episode ends with an overview of the more fundamental criticisms of public education to understand how and why public education is under attack in this nation.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:05 | CNN: County board meeting erupts during school mask debate
- 00:05:48 | Whitney Houston: Greatest Love Of All
- 00:06:02 | Pink Floyd: Another Brick In The Wall, Part Two
- 00:06:12 | Van Halen: Hot For Teacher
- 00:06:53 | Al Pacino: Any Given Sunday
- 00:14:52 | Reuters: Chaos at Virginia school meeting over history and race
- 00:15:40 | TYT: Joe Rogan Falls Into A Furry Trap
- 00:21:27 | Edutopia: Howard Gardner on Multiple Intelligences
- 00:22:21 | The Dead Pool: Assholes
- 00:24:28 | How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Coffee Break
- 00:25:28 | Fox News: 'I'm shocked': 'Fox & Friends' reacts to election results
- 00:25:31 | Fox News: Watters: There's just not the hatred for Biden as there is for Obama, Clintons
- 00:25:36 | Majority Report: Ben Shapiro On The 'Red Trickle'
- 00:25:40 | CNN: 'It's just ridiculous': Van Jones reacts to Graham's emotional plea on Fox
- 00:26:08 | Johnny Guitar: Coffee & Smoke
- 00:31:12 | 12 News: Woman has anti-Semitic outburst at Chandler School Board meeting
- 00:31:50 | ABC11: Go back to Mexico: Parent's racist remark interrupts anti-racism school board meeting
- 00:33:08 | Austin Powers: I Hate You
- World Socialist Web Site: 2.6 million US educators and staff quit public K-12 and higher education jobs during pandemic
- National Center for Education Statistics: Public School Enrollment
- The Nation’s Report Card: Student Performance Across Subjects
- National Center for Education Statistics: Total number of public school teachers and percentage of public school teachers in a union or employees' association, by selected school characteristics: 2015–16
- Resilient Educator: Your Guide to Education Lingo
- Learning Journals: What Are the Different Pedagogical Approaches to Learning?
- Rasmussen University: What Is Reggio Emilia? Your Guide to This Child-Driven Approach
- Stanford: An Introduction to Design Thinking
- Understood: Understanding IEPs
- Resilient Educator: Project Based Learning: A Hands On Approach To Teaching
- Bookshop.org: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
- National Association for Science, Medicine and Engineering: The Integration of the Humanities and Arts with Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine in Higher Education: Branches from the Same Tree
- Resilient Educator: Why the “A” in STEAM Education is Just As Important As Every Other Letter
- U.S. News: IB vs. AP: Discover the Differences
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation: How Is K-12 Education Funded?
- EdBuild: Nonwhite School Districts Get $23 Billion Less Than White Districts Despite Serving The Same Number Of Students
- Pew Charitable Trusts: ‘Lost Decade’ Casts a Post-Recession Shadow on State Finances
- OECD: Education at a Glance: OECD Indicators 2012
- National Center for Education Statistics: Long-term trends in reading and mathematics achievement
- The Heritage Foundation: The Battle Over Parents’ Rights in Education Is Just Getting Started
- The Heritage Foundation: America’s School Choice Moment Can’t Be Missed at Midterm Elections
- Bookshop: Race to the Bottom
- UNFTR: F*ck Milton Friedman.