This Healthcare is Killing Us.
The perpetual cycle of money madness.
The first installment of our healthcare series encapsulated the magnitude of the industry that accounts for 20% of our nation’s GDP and how efforts to pursue universal healthcare were scuttled over the years. Today’s episode examines the role of private insurance in our system and details how Obamacare came to life with little discussion around a public option or the possibility of Medicare for All.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:04:05 | Spies Like Us: Doctor, Doctor
- 00:08:46 | CNN: Bernie Sanders: Health care is a right, not a privilege
- 00:09:11 | Obama on French Healthcare
- 00:10:25 | ConcordCoalition: Fiscal Wake-Up Tour on Health Care--Stuart Butler
- 00:16:33 | Saw VI: The Cruelty Of Modern Medicine
- 00:21:43 | Bernie Sanders: Hillary Clinton on Universal Health Care in 2008
- 00:24:47 | Joe Biden to Obama: This is a Big Fucking deal
- 00:26:07 | Bill and Ted: Excellent
- 00:30:17 | Seven Psychopaths: That's Just Fucking Great
- 00:31:27 | When A Stranger Calls: It's Coming From Inside The House
- 00:34:11 | Fight Club: How's That Working Out for You?
- 00:38:32 | Young Frankenstein: It's Pronounced Frankensteen
- 00:39:54 | Big Daddy: Horseshit
- 00:41:56 | Unlisted Thoughts: Death of Stalin but it's just the doctors
- 00:52:20 | Get Smart Funny Moments
The New York Times: U.S. Life Expectancy Falls Again in ‘Historic’ Setback
Health System Tracker: How does health spending in the U.S. compare to other countries?
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation: The Burden of Medical Debt: Results from the Kaiser Family Foundation/New York Times
UnitedHealth Group: Annual Report
Humana: 2021 Annual Report
Anthem, Inc: Annual Report
National Association of Insurance Commissioners: U.S. Health Insurance Industry Analysis Report