Unf*cking Flashback: Labor Unions.
From Pullman to Kellogg’s. Labor’s long, hard road.
We're re-releasing our Labor Union episode in honor of Labor Day. For Unf*ckers outside of the United States, this is the day government set aside as a token of appreciation to the labor movement for eight hour days, weekends, anti-child labor laws, protection from discrimination and more. (In reality, it was a consolation prize after Grover Cleveland jailed Eugene Debs and sent federal troops to beat the shit out of Pullman railcar workers on strike.) We celebrate this glorious day by giving members of the PMC a holiday to shop at stores run by the working poor.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:00 + 00:01:24 | Johnny Paycheck: Take This Job And Shove It
- 00:04:25 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:07:17 | Princess Bride: Opening
- 00:08:02 | The Godfather: Bigger Than U.S. Steel
- 00:12:18 | Billy Bragg: There Is Power In A Union
- 00:15:07 | Kumbaya My Lord
- 00:21:16 | Austin Powers: Mojo
- 00:25:01 | Milton Friedman on Labor Unions
- 00:30:30 | Frosted Flakes: They're Grrrreat!
- 00:30:54 | Homer Simpson: Woohoo!
- 00:32:27 | CNBC: Kellogg CEO: Our snack business stands out and is driving sustainable, robust growth
- 00:51:37 | Pete Seeger: Roll the Union On
- 00:53:37 | Flight of the Conchords: Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
- 01:08:29 | Airplane: It's An Entirely Different Kind Of Flying Altogether
- 01:10:49 | Airplane: I Speak Jive
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- The New York Times: Starbucks workers at a Buffalo store unionize in a big symbolic win for labor
- Kellogg Company: Investor Relations
- The Nation: Striking Kellogg’s Workers Need the PRO Act
- U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics: Work Stoppages
- OECD: Trade Union Dataset
- U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics: Union Members — 2020
- Economic History Association: Labor Unions in the United States
- History of Recessions in U.S.
- Unionization rates by industry in the United States, 1880-2000
- More Perfect Union: Kellogg's Factory Working Conditions
- Media Matters: Joe Rogan Wrapped: A year of COVID-19 misinformation, right-wing myths, and anti-trans rhetoric
- Philip Dray: There Is Power in a Union: The Epic Story of Labor in America
- Nelson Lichtenstein: State of the Union: A Century of American Labor
- Kurt Andersen: Evil Geniuses: The Unmaking of America
- Joseph Stiglitz: People, Power and Profits
- Robert Shiller: Narrative Economics