Amazon (Part 2).
The Unfulfillment Company.
In Part 1 of Amazon, the Unfulfillment Company, we reviewed Amazon’s rise from online bookseller to third largest company on the planet and well on its way to number one. The extreme focus on the customer is the centerpiece of founder Jeff Bezos’s philosophy and while it has increased consumerism and driven down prices on several categories of goods and services, it’s had big ripple effects in the wider economy and the labor market. Today’s episode picks up where we left off to examine the company’s earnings and acquisitions more closely and addresses how the company is one step ahead of efforts to break it up. We finish with some examples of victories and what must happen to contain Amazon’s influence before it becomes sentient and destroys us all. Or something like that.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:07 | Bo Burnham: Bezos ii
- 00:00:17 | Frontline PBS: Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos
- 00:00:42 | WXYZ-TV Detroit: Amazon workers walk off the job
- 00:01:24 | Alanis Morissette: Ironic
- 00:01:29 | Reuters: Jeff Bezos and White House battle over taxes, inflation
- 00:06:43 | The Six Million Dollar Man: Intro
- 00:08:38 | Shrek: You’re A Monster
- 00:10:22 | Benny Hill Theme
- 00:11:00 | Talladega Nights: First Vs. Last
- 00:11:33 | The Beatles: With A Little Help From My Friends
- 00:18:05 | CNN: Sen. Bernie Sanders: Amazon has gotten too big
- 00:23:36 | Frontline PBS: Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos
- 00:31:48 | New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says "Love wins. Always. And it will again through this virus."
- 00:33:27 | MSNBC: Billionaire 'Goliath' Bezos Loses To 'David' Organizers In Huge Labor Upset At Amazon
- 00:33:54 | Pretty Woman: Big Mistake
- 00:34:20 | PBS NewsHour: Amazon Labor Union leader tells Sen. Graham it's in his 'best interest' to listen to workers
- 00:35:57 | Reuters: 'You guys paid for all this': Jeff Bezos thanks Amazon staff, customers
- 00:36:11 | Tommy Boy: Hmm, he seems like a nice guy.
- 00:37:36 | Charlie Chaplin: Final Speech from The Great Dictator
- 00:45:08 | The Labor Network: Protecting the Right to Organize - The PRO Act
- 00:58:05 | Amador The Scorpio: Fuck Amazon
- 00:58:22 | Star Trek: Spock
- 01:01:03 | Amador The Scorpio: Fuck Amazon Pt. 2
The New York Times: Amazon reports slowing sales growth and indicates slowdown may continue.
Marketplace Pulse: Amazon Net Sales 1996-2022
World Population Review: GDP Ranked by Country 2022
Forex Sentiment Board: 10 Largest Companies with Highest Revenue in 2022
Insider Intelligence: Amazon annual revenue breakdown by segment in 2022
Next Big Brand: Here Is The List Of Top 10 Firms Acquired By Amazon
CB Insights: Visualizing Tech Giants' Billion-Dollar Acquisitions
PYMNTS.com: Amazon's All-Time High US eCommerce Share: 56.7%
Alec MacGillis: Fulfillment: Winning and Losing in One-Click America