A (Mostly) Vegan World.
Plantf*ckers Can Save Us All.
As many of you know, we’ve had this on the pod-docket for months. It’s finally time to unf*ck our food system and talk about veganism. We decided not to pursue this topic from a moral or ethical perspective, but that doesn’t mean this isn’t a story about justice. 40% of the world’s working population is in some way employed in the food and agriculture sector. A third of all food is wasted. 50% of the earth’s land has been cleared for livestock and farming. Overfishing and chemical runoff is destroying marine life. In our pursuit to feed the world, we’re killing the planet and ourselves in the process. Today’s episode examines the cycle of madness that is the industrial agriculture and food supply chain. So while there are no tips on how to “go vegan,” the conclusion (spoiler) is that we all better figure out how.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:05:26 | The EAT-Lancet Lecture - Johan Rockström & Walter Willett
- 00:07:46 | Vintage 1952 Wonder Bread Commercial
- 00:09:08 | Law Abiding Citizen: Steak
- 00:10:51 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:16:35 | Oscar Mayer Commercial: 1973
- 00:18:25 | Neil Young + Promise Of The Real: Monsanto Years
- 00:19:54 | Bayer Crop Science: Progress is Human
- 00:20:54 | Bill and Ted: Woah
- 00:22:28 | Scary Movie: But Wait... There's More!
- 00:23:55 | McDonald's Big Mac Jingle Commercial: 1974
- 00:37:46 | Ace Ventura: Guano
- 00:36:16 | The Green Inferno: Vegan Death Scene
- 00:42:15 | Good & Plenty Candy Commercial: 1950s
- 00:45:10 | Madeline: Vegetarian
- 00:51:26 | Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Vegan Police
- 01:13:36 | Bill Madison: Every one in this room is now dumber
- 01:15:37 | Billy Madison: O'Doyle Rules!
- On the Principle of Population by Thomas Malthus
- UN: Food Systems Summit
- UN: Food Systems Statement of Action
- EPA: Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions Data
- Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences: Plant Based Diet Research
- Rodale Institute: Farming Systems Trial
- FAIRR: Protein Producer Index
- The EAT: Lancet Commission on Food, Planet, Health
- Nicoletta Batini: The Economics of Sustainable Food: Smart Policies for Health and the Planet
- Mark Bittman: Animal, Vegetable, Junk: A History of Food, from Sustainable to Suicidal
- Eat the Rich: Episodes 104 and 105 on the United Fruit Company
- Outrage & Optimism: Setting the Table for a Food Revolution
- Our Hen House
- Total Liberation Podcast
- The ChickPeeps
- Brown Vegan Podcast