From Pullman to Kellogg’s. Labor’s long, hard road.
From Pullman and Carnegie to Kellogg's and the PRO Act, this week we unf*ck the labor movement in the United States. No single episode can possibly do labor justice but we give it our best shot. The episode includes a blow-by-blow analysis of a recent interview with the CEO of Kellogg's to translate Wall Street speak for “how to fuck workers and influence inflation.” And we rip off a few Milton references to exercise our #FMF muscle.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:00 + 00:01:24 | Johnny Paycheck: Take This Job And Shove It
- 00:04:25 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:07:17 | Princess Bride: Opening
- 00:08:02 | The Godfather: Bigger Than U.S. Steel
- 00:12:18 | Billy Bragg: There Is Power In A Union
- 00:15:07 | Kumbaya My Lord
- 00:21:16 | Austin Powers: Mojo
- 00:25:01 | Milton Friedman on Labor Unions
- 00:30:30 | Frosted Flakes: They're Grrrreat!
- 00:30:54 | Homer Simpson: Woohoo!
- 00:32:27 | CNBC: Kellogg CEO: Our snack business stands out and is driving sustainable, robust growth
- 00:51:37 | Pete Seeger: Roll the Union On
- 00:53:37 | Flight of the Conchords: Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
- 01:08:29 | Airplane: It's An Entirely Different Kind Of Flying Altogether
- 01:10:49 | Airplane: I Speak Jive
- American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO)
- The New York Times: Starbucks workers at a Buffalo store unionize in a big symbolic win for labor
- Kellogg Company: Investor Relations
- The Nation: Striking Kellogg’s Workers Need the PRO Act
- U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics: Work Stoppages
- OECD: Trade Union Dataset
- U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics: Union Members — 2020
- Economic History Association: Labor Unions in the United States
- History of Recessions in U.S.
- Unionization rates by industry in the United States, 1880-2000
- More Perfect Union: Kellogg's Factory Working Conditions
- Media Matters: Joe Rogan Wrapped: A year of COVID-19 misinformation, right-wing myths, and anti-trans rhetoric
- Philip Dray: There Is Power in a Union: The Epic Story of Labor in America
- Nelson Lichtenstein: State of the Union: A Century of American Labor
- Kurt Andersen: Evil Geniuses: The Unmaking of America
- Joseph Stiglitz: People, Power and Profits
- Robert Shiller: Narrative Economics