Playing Chicken with China.
How Propaganda Rationalizes Conflict..
Read the full essay
There were 15 references to China in the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act. The recent bill passed by the House, which is more than what President Biden requested (because that makes fucking sense) contains 89 references to China. It’s official. We have our new existential bogeyman threat. Battle stations, everyone. We’re going to war with China. Someday. Or are we? Why would we? What the actual fuck is our problem? Today’s episode pulls back the cover on our latest propaganda campaign designed to scare the shit out of us and normalize aggression toward our largest trading partner on the planet.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:41 | Richard Nixon Presidential Library: Nixon in China (The Film)
- 00:02:38 + 00:12:30 | Barenaked Ladies: One Week
- 00:04:09 | Donald Trump Says China A Lot
- 00:05:27 | Noam Chomsky: Trump's attacks on China are a continuation of "Yellow Peril" fear-mongering
- 00:06:57 + 00:29:06 + 00:29:57 | 60 Minutes Australia: Prepare for Armageddon- China's warning to the world
- 00:07:23 | CNN: China's Iron Fist
- 00:08:18 | NBC News: Colin Powell Addresses United Nations Security Council On Iraq
- 00:13:21 | Animal House: All Is Well!
- 00:14:54 | Global Capitalism with Richard Wolff: The Competition Between China and the U.S.
- 00:15:39 | MSNBC: U.S. Official Says China Attempted To Create 'Super Soldiers'
- 00:15:48 + 00:19:42 | Fox News: US needs to fly into Chinese airspace- Gordon Chang
- 00:16:02 | Fox News: Is the United States prepared to confront China?
- 00:16:13 | Fox News: Gutfeld- This is why we're losing to China
- 00:19:13 | G.I. Joe: Knowing Is Half the Battle
- 00:23:31 | John Cena Apologizes To China In Mandarin For Calling Taiwan A Country
- 00:25:36 | Family Guy: He who lives in a glass house
- 00:25:57 | Al Jazeera: China imposes restrictions on Muslim Uighurs
- 00:27:10 | Chinese whistleblower exposes torture of Uyghur prisoners in CNN interview
- 00:27:22 | Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: China & Uighurs
- 00:27:32 | Fox News: US charges China with committing genocide against Uighurs
- 00:34:10 | The Meaning of Life: Would Rather Be Elsewhere
- 00:39:57 | Sidetalk: Coney Island Ski Club
- Militarist Monitor: Gatestone Institute
- AlJazeera: Biden administration approves $650m weapon sale to Saudi Arabia
- Brookings: Rising to the Challenge: Navigating Competition, Avoiding Crisis, and Advancing US Interests in Relations With China
- Vivek Ramaswamy: Woke, Inc.: Inside Corporate America's Social Justice Scam