Pirates of the Caribbean.
Debt, Diplomacy and Destruction.
It’s chilly here in New York so we’ve got the Caribbean on the brain. Actually, we’re just building on our money and power episodes and tying in lessons from our shows on Milton Friedman, Cuba and climate change. Because we can’t just sit on a beach sipping a frozen drink with an umbrella. But that’s why you love us. The United States didn’t invent colonialism in the Caribbean, we just perfected it. From wild tales of vigilante slave owning gold diggers and gunboat diplomacy to economic gangsterism and coerced trade agreements, the Caribbean has been the proving ground for neoliberalism.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:01:08 | Dr. Dre: Lyrical Gangbang
- 00:03:02 | Pirates of the Caribbean: It’s My Intention To Commandeer
- 00:03:49 | Caribbean Travel 1990s TV Commercial
- 00:04:47 | Sen. Sanders Talks Filibuster Reform
- 00:04:55 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:05:15 | Braveheart: Motivational Speech
- 00:06:33 | Finding Nemo: Mine
- 00:10:04 | They Called It White Man's Burden (1957)
- 00:23:43 | Fast Times: Spicoli - You Dick!
- 00:24:20 | Arrested Development: There’s Always Money in the Banana Stand
- 00:27:07 | Haiti's François Duvalier Dictatorship (1971)
- 00:31:50 | Fox News: Tucker Carlson tears into Biden's immigration policy live from El Salvador
- 00:32:03 | Fox News: 'The Five' rips Biden as thousands of migrants shelter under Texas bridge
- 00:32:11 | Fox News: Steyn: No one voluntarily moves to Haiti
- 00:32:18 | Fox News: Critics blast AOC for not helping her grandmother in Puerto Rico
- 00:32:27 | Fox News: Tucker: Latin Americans tell Kamala Harris to 'buzz off'
- 00:36:38 | Bob Marley: One Love
- New Yorker: The Long Legacy of Occupation in Haiti
- Origins: A Pact with the Devil? The United States and the Fate of Modern Haiti
- The Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico
- US News Beat: The Truth About Puerto Rico
- Library of Congress: Teller and Platt Amendments - The World of 1898: The Spanish-American War (Hispanic Division)
- Inter-American Development Bank: Climate Change in the Caribbean Small Island States
- Alan McPherson: A Short History of U.S. Interventions in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Raphael Dalleo: American Imperialism’s Undead: The Occupation of Haiti and the Rise of Caribbean Anticolonialism
- Samantha S. S. Chaitram: American Foreign Policy in the English-speaking Caribbean