How to Talk About the Trump Years.
Or, "What the Fuck Just Happened??"
Read the full essay
While the ink is still wet on the Trump era, we’re going to talk through what the real legacy might be before revisionists get a hold of it one way or another and navigate how we can have productive conversations about this period which still divides us. To many of us on the left, the mystery remains as to why anyone with a conscience would have voted for such an abhorrent, pugnacious, racist, misogynist, lecherous pufferfish like Trump. So we should dissect the man and his rhetoric before we attempt to determine where he fits into history. And we’ll offer some (hopefully) useful advice on how to talk to your (still) Trump supporting friends.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:00 | HELP: My Co-Workers Are Intolerant Liberals - What Should I Do?
- 00:05:39 | C-SPAN: Donald Trump Campaign Rally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 00:08:53 | True Romance: Sicilians
- 00:09:26 | Closer: Why Are You Doing This?
- 00:10:15 | Naked Eyes: Promises, Promises
- 00:10:29 | Associated Press: Trump Maintains Mexico Will Pay for Border Wall
- 00:11:03 | CNN: Trump in 2016: 'I don't have time' for golf
- 00:11:47 | CNBC: President Donald Trump: Big 'Push' To Build In US, Bring Back Manufacturing Jobs
- 00:12:28 | MSNBC: President Donald Trump Promised He’d Only Hire ‘The Best People.’
- 00:13:30 | Trump Tells O'Reilly Cutting Debt Will Be Easy
- 00:15:07 | CNBC: Must Repeal And Replace Obamacare
- 00:24:08 | The Usual Suspects: The Greatest Trick the Devil Ever Pulled
- 00:24:48 | Cornel West: Obama was better than Trump, but still complicit
- 00:38:34 | Get Smart Opening and Closing Credits and Theme Song
- 00:38:39 | Get Smart on Politics
- New York Times: Should I Hang Out With Someone Whose Political Views I Hate?
- New York Times: 8 Podcasts to Help Make Sense of Post-Trump America