Updated Tax Evasion Figures.
Lifestyles of the Rich and Fraudulent.
Read the full essay
An explosive new report from the Bureau of Economic Research just landed and it seems that no one in the media or political class cares. The report pulls together findings from new domestic regulations related to offshore banking and revelations from a treasure trove of documents leaked in the Pandora Papers. The Bureau estimates that billionaires are now holding nearly $4 trillion in assets in offshore accounts, an increase of nearly $1 trillion since the last estimate was published. And it’s likely a good deal more than this.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:02:14 | Wolf of Wall Street: Yacht Scene
- 00:03:04 | Team America: America Fuck Yeah
- 00:03:22 | Benny Hill Theme
- 00:08:02 | CBS Mornings: Panama Papers scandal could have worldwide implications
- 00:08:16 | BBC News: Pandora Papers reveal financial dealings of some of world's most powerful people
- Oxfam: Richest 1% bag nearly twice as much wealth as the rest of the world put together over the past two years
- Investopedia: The Tax Implications of Opening a Foreign Bank Account
- NBER: The Offshore World According to FATCA
- Vox: Biden’s billionaire tax proposal, explained
- ICIJ: Where are the key Panama Papers figures, seven years later?
- WTTW: A Growing Worry for Charities: Tax Havens for the Rich
- OpenSecrets: ‘Dark money’ groups aligned with party leadership steer hundreds of millions of dollars into 2022 federal elections
- Tax Policy Center: Biden’s Budget Would Raise Taxes On High-Income Households, Cut Them For Many Others
- United States Senate Committee on Finance: Wyden Investigation Uncovers Major Loophole In Offshore Account Reporting
- IMF: The True Cost of Global Tax Havens
- Mirror Online: Rishi Sunak accepted £60,000 from donors linked to offshore tax havens for leadership bid
- POLITICO: Liberal 'dark-money' behemoth funneled more than $400M in 2020