James Earl Carter (Part One).
Today we begin our look back at the brief but remarkable tenure of President Jimmy Carter. The late 70s is a fascinating period on a number of levels. Civil Rights groups had fractured into several pieces, the Vietnam era had come to a disgraceful close and the economy was beginning to falter after more than two decades of astounding post-war growth for the middle class in particular. The GOP’s grip on Washington was tenuous after Nixon’s resignation and the country wasn’t sure whether Ford was up to the task. For their part, Democrats were still healing from the ‘68 Convention and being sidelined by Nixon’s GOP. Out of the fog came a slow talking southern boy named Jimmy who shocked the world and secured the Democratic nomination for president. This is his origin story.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:01 | 1976 Jimmy Carter Democratic Convention Acceptance Speech
- 00:00:06 | CBS News: Jimmy Carter inaugural address, Jan. 20 1977
- 00:00:26 | Miller Center: President Jimmy Carter - 1979 State of the Union
- 00:00:45 | Walter Cronkite 1977 Jimmy Carter Visit
- 00:00:51 | PBS NewsHour: Tempers Flare In Lines for Gasoline in 1979
- 00:00:58 | Miller Center: President Jimmy Carter - Remarks on the Camp David Summit
- 00:01:08 | ABC News: Iran Hostage Crisis 1979
- 00:01:18 | Miller Center: Reagan-Carter Oct. 28, 1980 Debate - "Are You Better Off?"
- 00:01:38 | NBC News: 1980 Reagan Wins
- 00:01:52 | CBS Sunday Morning: 2006, Jimmy Carter on life after the White House
- 00:03:57 | Fox News: Jimmy Carter was a better president than Biden - Kudlow
- 00:04:16 | Fox News: CNN reporter says Biden 'worse than Jimmy Carter'
- 00:04:25 | Forbes Breaking News: GOP Lawmaker: 'The Carter And The Biden Presidencies Share Far Too Much In Common'
- 00:12:12 | The Carter Center: Excerpt from Governor Jimmy Carter's Inaugural Address
- 00:14:33 | AP Archive: Documentary about Jimmy Carter
- 00:21:38 | Face the Nation: Dickerson's debate history: Carter vs. Ford in 1976
- Office of the Historian, Foreign Service Institute: The Panama Canal and the Torrijos-Carter Treaties
- The New York Times: Jimmy Carter’s Unheralded Legacy
- The Atlantic: The Passionless Presidency
- Vox: The Republican myth of Ronald Reagan and the Iran hostages, debunked
- Politico: The Humiliating Handshake and the Near-Fistfight that Broke the Democratic Party
- Brookings: Today’s global economy is eerily similar to the 1970s, but governments can still escape a stagflation episode
- Kai Bird: The Outlier: The Unfinished Presidency of Jimmy Carter
- David Rockefeller: Memoirs