From Bull Moose to Jackass.
U.S. Progressivism from 1912 to 2021.
Today’s episode is a mashup of a Quickie and a full fledged Unf*cking. We start by going back in time to tell the origin story of the Progressive Party colloquially known as the Bull Moose Party. We examine the original party platform and draw a straight line between the issues facing the nation in 1912 that still face us today. Then we follow with a Quickie on three progressive members of the House of Representatives that give us hope for the future.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:05:15 | Library of Congress: Social and industrial justice
- 00:06:26 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:10:28 | Man in the Arena: Speech by Theodore Roosevelt, Read by John F. Kennedy
- 00:20:26 | Geto Boys: Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
- 00:22:03 | Three Amigos: Three Amigo Salute
- 00:23:12 | Dirty Dancing: Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner
- 00:23:20 | The Majority Report with Sam Seder: House Progressives Say They Aren’t Taking ‘The Half Sandwich’ This Time
- 00:24:21 | Step Brothers: Gag Reel
- 00:25:25 | PBS NewsHour: Pramila Jayapal on her path to Congress and creating political change
- 00:26:43 | Ro Khanna: Rep. Khanna speaks on House floor
- 00:27:20 | South Park: You Killed Kenny
- 00:28:21 | Ayanna Pressley: Ayanna Talks Power Of Representation, Policy Change + More on The Breakfast Club
- 00:29:12 | The Root: Rep. Ayanna Pressley Reveals Beautiful Bald Head and Talks Alopecia for the First Time
- 00:35:47 | The Housemartins: Caravan Of Love
- 00:54:30 | Sweet Home Alabama: No I am not shitting you
- 00:55:05 | Isley, Jasper, Isley: Caravan of Love
- Indian Country Today: Theodore Roosevelt: ‘The Only Good Indians Are the Dead Indians’
- Smithsonian Magazine: Why Teddy Roosevelt Tried to Bully His Way Onto the WWI Battlefield
- Britannica: Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act
- The American Presidency Project: Progressive Party Platform of 1912
- Problem Solvers Caucus: Problem Solvers Caucus Unveils "Building Bridges"
- The American Prospect: The Progressive Caucus Wields Power
- Progressive Punch: Scores
- Al Jazeera: When it comes to Islamophobia, we need to name names
- Robert McDermott: Jone$town