UNFTR on LGBTQ.
Behind The Acronym.
Today we begin a conversation about the LGBTQ movement in the United States, with a nod to our Canadian friends as well. In order to properly introduce issues facing LGBTQ people into the larger context of socio economic and political topics we cover on UNFTR, we wanted to start with a conversation about the evolving language of inclusion and representation within the LGBTQ community.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:06:07 | Sky News Australia: Justin Trudeau stumbles while trying to say 'LGBTQ+'
- 00:08:36 | Rogue One: Oh It’s Beautiful
- 00:12:26 | New York Times: The Stonewall You Know Is a Myth. And That’s O.K.
- 00:19:42 | The 40-Year Old Virgin: You know how I know you're gay?
- 00:19:52 | Ace Ventura: Einhorn is a Man!
- 00:19:58 | Adventures in Babysitting: Thor
- 00:20:01 | Get Hard: Dick In Bulk
- 00:20:49 | Sense8: For Those Of Us Who Can't March
- 00:22:09 | CBC News: J.K. Rowling Defends Comments About Transgender People
- Edmonton CityNews: Hope blossoms as first two-spirited MP elected
- Code Switch: Is It Time To Say R.I.P. to P.O.C.?
- Geneseo: Understanding Gender Identity and Gender Expression
- PBS: American Experience- Stonewall Uprising
- New York Times: The Stonewall You Know Is a Myth. And That’s O.K
- Human Rights Campaign: Fatal Violence Against the Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Community in 2021
- National Center For Transgender Equality: LGBTQ People Behind Bars
- Human Rights Campaign: Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Definitions
- The Williams Institute: Poverty In The Lesbian, Gay, And Bisexual Community
- Columbia Journalism Review: How the word ‘queer’ was adopted by the LGBTQ community
- LGBTQIA Resource Center: UC Davis Resource
- Eric Cervini: The Deviant's War: The Homosexual vs. the United States of America
- Joey Mogul, Andrea Ritchie + Kay Whitlock: Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States