When We Leave.
Afghanistan Tomorrow and Forever.
Operation “Blame the Afghan People” is in full swing. The countdown to us forgetting completely about Afghanistan has also just begun and the media is doing its best to shove a comparative narrative to Vietnam down our throats. Today’s episode explores our national amnesia, examines the Vietnam comparison, talks about what happens when our occupations end and questions the continuation of a wartime military budget.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:04:42 | TODAY: Taliban Seize 3 Afghan Cities Amid U.S. Troop Withdrawal
- 00:04:49 | CBC News: Taliban surround Kabul after capturing Jalalabad
- 00:04:57 | CBS This Morning: Taliban militants take Kabul as president flees Afghanistan
- 00:05:00 | NBC: White House Reacts As Taliban Gain Control of Afghanistan
- 00:05:05 | BBC News: Desperate scenes in Kabul as President Biden defends Afghan pullout
- 00:05:45 | War and the Media: Howard Zinn
- 00:08:31 | AP Archive: Vietnam Saigon the Communists Takeover
- 00:08:44 | BBC News: Deaths reported at Kabul airport as Afghans try to flee Taliban
- 00:09:24 | CNN: Biden speaks after Afghanistan's government collapses
- 00:10:26 | Global News: Trudeau says Canada "heartbroken"
- 00:12:01 | Troy: We Are Lions
- 00:12:25 | The Departed: You Must Be the Other Guy
- 00:13:53 | Platoon: I Got A Bad Feeling
- 00:20:52 | The Godfather Part II: You're Nothing to Me Now
- 00:21:54 | The Gambler: F*** You
- 00:25:21 | Fox59 News: Biden Administration Defense Spending Proposal
- Forbes: Will Wealthy Countries Take In Afghan Refugees? Here’s What Europe, Canada And The U.S. Are Doing.
- The Intercept: $10,000 Invested in Defense Stocks When Afghanistan War Began Now Worth Almost $100,000
- Peter G. Peterson Foundation: Budget Basics- National Defense
- World Bank: The World Bank In Vietnam
- Vietnam Briefing: Vietnam’s Economy, FDI Show Steady Growth but Fourth Wave a Concern
- World Economic Forum: The story of Vietnam's economic miracle
- CTV News: 'Canada left them behind': Afghan interpreters and their families plead to be evacuated from Afghanistan
- CBC: N.S. veteran unhappy as Taliban retakes control of Afghanistan
- War On The Rocks: China’s Strategic Assessment of Afghanistan
- Congress: H.Res.1003 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)