Unf*cking Flashback: Peak Oil.
It's a Crude, Crude World.
We dropped this episode a few months back to try and explain why oil prices were so high. It is a very deep dive into the history of oil prices, commodities markets, and all of the factors that go into the price of oil and the exchanges that they’re traded on.
I feel like this first episode does a really good job explaining the market in general and how oil basically moves from the ground to wind up as something that’s traded on commodity exchanges. But the one that we’re going to drop tomorrow is really an explainer behind what drives the prices when you take that pump out of your hands at the gas station and you put it in your car.
So tomorrow we’re going to pack you with enough information and resources to destroy all of the myths that you hear in the pundit class and in the mainstream media. And I know this is a really obnoxious thing to say, but I promise you everything that you’re hearing in the mainstream media and in that punditry class is wrong. They’re all getting it wrong, and we’ll explain why.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:02:53 | Alex Zanetis: Three Miles Down
- 00:06:47 | Airplane II: Everything that's happened up 'til now
- 00:08:40 | 60 Minutes Australia: The African tyrant living in luxury while his people starve
- 00:09:30 | Beverly Hillbillies: The Clampett's Strike Oil
- 00:12:39 | Democracy Now!: African Dictatorships and Double Standards
- 00:15:42 | The Godfather: I'm Gonna Make Him An Offer He Can't Refuse
- 00:16:46 | Jerry Reed: Crude Oil Blues
- 00:18:30 | Braveheart: Motivational Speech
- 00:18:53 | Red River: Yeehaw
- 00:27:30 | John Cleese: And now for something completely different
- 00:33:55 | The Big Short: I'm Jacked to the Tits!
- 00:33:57 | Frankie Laine and Jimmy Boyd: Tell Me a Story
- 00:44:19 | Bobby Darin: Mack the Knife
- 00:45:39 | There Will Be Blood: I Am An Oil Man
- 00:50:02 | The Pump: The 2008 Oil and Financial Crisis
- 00:50:11 | Oil and the Economic Crisis
- 00:50:22 | CHCH News: Gas prices up sharply
- 00:50:26 | Kerr Discusses Oil prices with Larry Kudlow July 2008
- 00:50:32 | 60 Minutes: The Price Of Oil
- 00:51:09 | Trading Places: Panicking
- 01:21:07 | Marketplace: Indigenous workers have been hit hard by COVID-19. But Friday’s jobs report won’t reflect that.
- 01:33:42 | Jennifer Lopez: Let’s Get Loud
- World Population Review: Richest African Countries 2022
- Trading Economics: Corruption Rank by Country | Africa
- Worldometer: Equatorial Guinea Oil
- Democracy Now!: African Dictatorships and Double Standards
- U.S. Energy Information Administration: International Energy Outlook 2021
- Peter Maass: Crude World: The Violent Twilight of Oil
- Leif Wenar: Blood Oil: Tyrants, Violence, and the Rules That Run the World
- Morgan Downey: Oil 101
- Dan Dicker: Oil's Endless Bid: Taming the Unreliable Price of Oil to Secure Our Economy
- Leah McGrath Goodman: The Asylum: The Renegades Who Hijacked the World’s Oil Market
- Bernard Harcourt: The Illusion of Free Markets: Punishment and the Myth of Natural Order
- Emily Lambert: The Futures: The Rise of the Speculator and the Origins of the World's Biggest Markets
- American Scandal: Enron