When Banks Fail.
What goes up, must come down. Unless you’re a banker. In which case it’s up, up and away with bailouts and low interest loans! Today’s episode is an accessible explainer of the unfolding banking crisis. It explains the basics of banking business models, where certain banks have exposure, the regulatory environment and some predictions as to what happens next. Hopefully, you walk away with slightly more insight into the current crisis, why it’s happening and what’s at stake.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:00:05 | It's a Wonderful Life: The Bank Run
- 00:11:51 | How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying: Coffee Break
- 00:13:08 | Johnny Guitar: Coffee & Smoke
- 00:13:40 | Fox News: This is where the woke agenda goes to die
- 00:15:02 | Austin Powers: I Hate You
- Forbes: What To Know About Silicon Valley Bank's Collapse—The Biggest Bank Failure Since 2008
- Forexlive: The hold-to-maturity problem is a real headache. The only remedy is stable deposits
- Lyn Alden: March 2023 Newsletter: A Look at Bank Solvency
- UBS: US bank turmoil: FAQ and investment implications
- Wikipedia: September 2019 events in the U.S. repo market
- Axios: The story behind Founders Fund and the run on Silicon Valley Bank