It’s the… Military?
While the country wrestles with police brutality and protests, dividing between Black Lives Matter or Back the Blue, a bizarre phenomenon has been unfolding in policing under our noses for decades. It’s nearly impossible to tell the difference between domestic law enforcement and the military. That’s not by accident. In this episode we Unf*ck policing in America and find out how civil liberties are eroding and why cops have tanks.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:02:24 | Sgt. Shamar: 1 Marine vs 30 Cops
- 00:06:08 + 00:08:16 | CBS Evening News, On This Day: Four killed in Kent State shooting
- 00:10:01 | The Telegraph: Donald Trump bible, Tear gas used to clear protesters for photo op
- 00:10:17 | PBS News Hour: Presence, tactics of federal agents in Portland, Oregon, prompt questions and criticism
- 00:14:41 | The Godfather Part II: Buffers
- Pulitzer Center: No Drugs, No Crime and Just Pennies for School: How Police Use Civil Asset Forfeiture
- CODEPINK: End the 1033 Program
- The Atlantic: What Caused the Great Crime Decline in the U.S.?
- Statista: Reported violent crime rate in the United States from 1990 to 2019
- Brennan Center For Justice: Are They Allowed to Do That? A Breakdown of Selected Government Surveillance Programs
- Congressional Research Center: The Posse Comitatus Act and Related Matters: The Use of the Military to Execute Civilian Law
- Wikipedia: Military Cooperation with Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies Act