Unf*cking Flashback: The Assange Problem.
Time is Running Out to Salvage Press Freedom.
The Espionage Act is having quite the moment in the sun these days. Former President Donald Trump was charged under the act for knowingly absconding with and hiding classified documents said to contain sensitive nuclear capability secrets and theoretical attack plans. Daniel Ellsberg, famed whistleblower behind the release of the Pentagon Papers, passed away this week; perhaps the most high profile modern target of the Espionage Act until, of course, Trump. Amidst all of this newfound attention being paid to an arcane World War I era law designed to squash any objection to the war effort, there’s Julian Assange. He is the ultimate litmus test for America. A test to see just how committed we are to maintaining even a shred of a democratic facade.
Episode Timestamp + Link | Clip Link
- 00:03:26 + 00:03:57 + 00:04:29 + 00:4:39 + 00:05:21 + 00:05:39 | WikiLeaks video: 'Collateral murder' in Iraq
- 00:14:32 | CBS News: WikiLeaks Exposes Possible War Crimes
- 00:14:40 | PBS NewsHour: WikiLeaks Releases 400,000 Iraq War Documents
- 00:15:00 | CNN: Afghan war documents on WikiLeaks
- 00:24:28 | Democracy Now: Daniel Ellsberg: Espionage Charges Against Assange Are Most Significant Attack on Press in Decades
- Glenn Greenwald: No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State
- Tariq Ali + Margaret Kunstler: In Defense of Julian Assange
- Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill: Joe Biden's War Powers
- Media Roots Radio with Abby & Robbie Martin: Assange Trial: Torture, Trumped Up Charges & A Warning to Us All w/ Kevin Gosztola
- News Beat: Chelsea Manning: Collateral Murder Cover-Up
- News Beat: Espionage Act & The Battle For The Free Press